Warning Signs That an Aging Parent Needs Help at Home
How do you know if it is time for help at home or an increased level of care?
Look for these red flags as common indicators that a senior may need some form of assistance.
1. Difficulty Performing Routine Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s). This includes:
- Dressing and grooming.
- Transferring or moving from place to place (e.g., moving from the bed to a chair).
2. Difficulty Performing Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL’s). This includes:
- Ability to Use Telephone.
- Food Preparation.
- Mode of Transportation.
- Responsibility for Own Medication.
- Ability to Handle Finance.
3. Exhibiting Symptoms of Depression. This includes:
- Dissatisfaction with life.
- Withdrawal from activities or interests.
- Excessive boredom.
- Feeling helpless/hopeless.
- Mood related lethargy or lack of energy.