How do you know if it is time for help at home or an increased level of care?
Look for these red flags as common indicators that a senior may need some form of assistance.
1. Difficulty Performing Routine Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s). This includes:
- Dressing and grooming.
- Transferring or moving from place to place (e.g., moving from the bed to a chair).
2. Difficulty Performing Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL’s). This includes:
- Ability to Use Telephone.
- Food Preparation.
- Mode of Transportation.
- Responsibility for Own Medication.
- Ability to Handle Finance.
3. Exhibiting Symptoms of Depression. This includes:
- Dissatisfaction with life.
- Withdrawal from activities or interests.
- Excessive boredom.
- Feeling helpless/hopeless.
- Mood related lethargy or lack of energy.